- The Defence Headquarters Nigeria has informed the general public of its latest successes recorded in the war against armed banditry in Zamfara, Plateau, Benue and some other states in the country
- According to Major General John Enenche, he made the information known on Friday, December 25 in two separate Press Statements on Operation Hadarin Daji and Operation Whirl Stroke respectively
Maj Gen Enenche, who is the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations in the Defence Headquarters stated that armed bandits were forced to surrender their weapons, while some were neutralised in Operation Hadarin Daji.
The Defence Media Operations Coordinator added that some bandits were likewise arrested and neutralised in Operation Whirl Stroke.
What happened during the recent Operation Hadarin Daji are stated below:
OPERATION HADARIN DAJI: TROOPS INTENSIFY OPERATIONS, FORCE BANDITS TO SURRENDER/SUBMIT WEAPONS AND NEUTRALIZE SOME IN ZAMFARA STATE
- In continuation of efforts to forestall bandits activities and to ensure peaceful Yuletide celebrations in the North West Zone, troops of Operation HADARIN DAJI have intensified its ground and air operations in the Zone. As the Nigerian Air Force fighter jets and helicopter gunships dominate the air space with air patrols and provide close air support for ground troops, the ground troops conduct robust aggressive fighting patrols to deny criminal elements freedom of action.
- On 24 December 2020, following intensified troops activities in Magami general area of Zamfara State, 2 bandits named, Usman Ahmed and Mohammed Adamu voluntarily surrendered to the troops. The surrendered bandits further took troops to a bush where they had buried some of their weapons and submitted the weapons. Consequently, troops recovered 2 AK-47 rifles, 45 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition, one cutlass and one knife.
- In another development on 23 December 2020, troops conducted clearance operation on bandits’ hideouts at Pauwa/Zango Rocks and environs. During the operation, troops had contact with an unconfirmed number of armed bandits and accordingly, engaged the criminals and killed some of them in contact. Thereafter, their hideouts were cleared and demolished. In the course of the operation, 2 bandits named, Sai’du and Rabiu were arrested and handed over to appropriate prosecuting agency for further action.
Defence Media Operations
25 December 2020
In addition, the Defence Headquarters gave the latest information on Operation Whirl Stroke as highlighted below:
TROOPS OF OPERATION WHIRL STROKE FOIL BANDITS’ ATTACK ON COMMUTERS, NEUTRALIZE/ARREST BANDITS AND RECOVER ARMS IN PLATEAU, BENUE AND TARABA STATES
- In continuation of efforts to rid the North Central Zone of armed bandits and other criminal elements as well as to ensure a peaceful Yuletide season, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE intensifies the tempo in their operations.
- On 24 December 2020, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE deployed at Udei general area, while on routine patrol along Markudi – Lafiya Road foiled an attempted armed bandits’ attack on passengers traveling from Bayalsa State to Jos. The criminals who mounted an illegal check-point on the Road, stopped the commercial vehicle to rob the commuters. However, own troops intervened promptly with superior firepower and forced the criminals to flee in disarray. Thereafter, troops provided armed escort for the commuters from the scene to Lafiya to enable them proceed with their journey.
- Similarly, own troops deployed at Zaki Biam and Ukum, while on fighting patrol, responded to a distress call on bandits’ activities at Dyom Village in Borokiyo Council Ward of Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State. Troops swiftly mobilized to the scene where they had contact and engaged the criminals, forcing them to flee. However, troops followed the bandits in hot pursuit and neutralized 2 of them, while some others escaped with gunshot wounds. During the encounter, troops recovered some arms and ammunition and a motorcycle.
- The Military High Command commends the troops for their efforts and further encourage them to remain committed to the course. Troops continue to maintain routine and confidence building patrols in the Zone.
Defence Media Operations
25 December 2020